HEBCoN is excited to launch
its brand new training courses which are now available on the website – sign in and navigate to members’ area -> HEBCoN BC Training Programmes.
There are four courses:
- Introduction to Business Continuity in Higher Education
- This introduction session provides an outline for those new to business continuity, the processes involved in creating a plan and the positive impact that having a current business continuity plan has on an organisation’s ability to sustain its strategic and operational planning and delivery. This is provided as a slide deck only which can be downloaded and used in your organisations with colleagues who would like to know more about Business Continuity and the positive impacts it has on our organisations.
- Developing a BIA
- This half-day programme looks at the methodology underpinning a Business Impact Analysis and provides some tools and tips for creating a BIA for your organisation. This is an interactive session that facilitates discussion between organisation on examples of how (and how not)to create opportunities to understand the critical activities of your university and the risks to that organisation if those activities fail for any period of time. A Business Impact Analysis will form the stable basis for a successful Business Continuity Plan and this session can usefully be followed up with “Beginning and Developing a Business Continuity Plan”. Delivery can either be facilitated by HEBCoN as a general or personalised session or HEBCoN Members may use the materials to deliver the course themselves for their organisations.
- Beginning and Developing a Business Continuity Plan
- This half day programme provides an in-depth look at developing a business continuity plan for your organisation, building on the previous module “Developing a BIA”. In particular, the course will consider the difference between business continuity and incident management and how both processes are integrated to deliver a structured, timely response to an incident that disrupts the university’s ability to deliver its core mission. At the end of this session, participants will understand the phases of incident response, business continuity and recovery, understand the link between the BIA and continuity planning and how to maintain and update a BCP to ensure it remains effective. Delivery can either be facilitated by HEBCoN as a general or personalised session or HEBCoN Members may use the materials to deliver the course themselves for their organisations.
- Embedding and Promoting Business Continuity
- This final programme in the series looks at how to embed resilience in an organisation and how to manage and learn from incidents in order to continue to build a resilient organisation. Training and Review form the key elements of successfully embedding business continuity practice into the organisation and the process of continuous review and development will lead to a robust organisation. Embedding these practices into other operational activities means that this need not be an onerous process but rather one that naturally links with the development of the organisation and this programme will consider ways in which that can be managed within a university. Delivery can either be facilitated by HEBCoN as a general or personalised session or HEBCoN Members may use the materials to deliver the course themselves for their organisations.